Two things were in my mind when I came up with these brownies: 1. Father’s Day and 2. Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. I actually made these a couple of weeks ago for a Memorial Day get together with my family and because I knew my parents would be making and bringing their famous homemade vanilla ice cream to the dinner, I wanted something super chocolate and decadent to go with it. And I knew Father’s Day was around the corner and what dad doesn’t love chocolate?? I don’t know any.
I didn’t do much searching before I came across a recipe from Betty Crocker for Milk Chocolate Malt Brownies. I rarely search for something online and choose the first thing that pops up but with these I thought, why not? I didn’t want to spend hours looking for what I thought might be the “perfect” recipe and it’s Betty Crocker…how can you go wrong? Of course I made a couple of minor changes and topped my brownies with a super decadent dark chocolate malt frosting. If you’re thinking, “Wow Sarah, these sound rich and ridiculously good”…yes, you’d be right. They are ridiculously good. A little goes a long way, trust me. And I will tell you the longer these set, the softer/better they become. Although the malt balls on top do get chewy…but I kind of like ’em like that.
These are great for your dad, your uncle, grandpa, brother, nephew…whoever you know and love who also happens to be a dad! Nothing says love and thanks like homemade brownies!
- 12 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ c. (1 stick) Unsalted Butter
- 1 T. Instant Coffee Granules
- ¾ c. Light Brown Sugar
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1¾ c. All-Purpose Flour
- ½ c. Malted Milk Powder (plain, NOT chocolate)
- ½ t. Baking Powder
- ¼ t. Salt
- 1 c. (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 4 c. Powdered Sugar
- 6 T. Whole Milk or Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ c. Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1½ c. Malted Milk Powder (plain, NOT chocolate)
- 5 oz. Whoppers or other Malted Milk Balls, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips, butter and instant coffee granules in a large bowl in the microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring between each until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Whisk in the sugar and allow the mixture to cool slightly. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, malted milk powder, baking powder and salt and gently fold into the chocolate mixture, just until there are no white streaks and the flour mixture is incorporated. Pour into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beat the butter at medium speed until smooth. Slowly beat 2 cups of the powdered sugar until thoroughly incorporated. Beat in 3 tablespoons of the milk or heavy whipping cream and the vanilla. Beat in the rest of the powdered sugar and milk/heavy whipping cream. Beat in the cocoa and malted milk powder at low speed and then beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until creamy and smooth. Spread frosting over cooled brownies and sprinkle with chopped Whoppers or other malted milk balls.