Fall is in the air! Cooler weather, leaves falling, sweaters and boots, bonfires, apple and pumpkin EVERYTHING. I love it! Definitely my favorite season. So I thought I’d start things right with this recipe for Pumpkin Crunch Cake. I saw this recipe on The Picky Apple and since it had over HALF A MILLION pins on Pinterest, I thought it might be a good one to try. The bottom is like a yummy custard type pumpkin pie and the top is cakey and slightly crunchy from the pecans. So good! I topped mine with homemade cinnamon whipped cream, Bourbon Salted Caramel from Fat Toad Farm and organic dark chocolate chips. If you’re looking for a delicious fall recipe, this is the one!
- 1, 15 oz. Can Pumpkin Puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
- 1, 12 oz. Can Evaporated Milk
- 3 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1½ c. Sugar
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- ½ t. Salt
- 1 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1, 18.25 oz. Spice Cake Mix
- 1½ c. Pecans
- 1 c. Unsalted Butter, melted
- Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10½ inch springform pan or 9x13 cake pan. I used a springform pan which did leak a little so I put a large, round baking pan under it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Pour into the pan and sprinkle the cake mix on top (I only used about ¾ of the cake mix because I used a springform pan), then the pecans and drizzle with the melted butter. Bake for 1 hour or until the middle of the cake is firm (mine took about 1 hour and 10 minutes). Cool completely. Top with cinnamon whipped cream, caramel and dark chocolate chips.