I am officially obsessed, OBSESSED, with this recipe for pear (or apple!) butter. It was insanely easy and produced the most delicious pear butter I have ever had. Fortunately, my grandparents have a pear tree in their backyard and were generous enough to share their bounty with me! The only downside is that now that I know how awesome this stuff is, I can’t get my hand on any more free pears! They seem to have gotten to their peak and are no more. I am so, so sad about this. I’m still thinking about just hitting up a local apple orchard because I’d REALLY love to make apple butter from this recipe. We shall see.
Thus far, I’ve been spreading this yumminess on my bagels in the morning. Or eating with a spoon from the jar. I’m not proud of that but I can’t help myself. You could put it on waffles, pancakes, crepes…so many possibilities. The spices in it are perfection and the texture is so buttery smooth. I love that I was able to throw everything in the crockpot overnight and it was practically done! It does take a little time to peel and core all the pears (about 45 minutes) but it is so worth it. I also used Sucanat which is a great alternative to processed, refined sugar…much better for your body. Also used pink himalayan sea salt instead of overly processed table salt that’s been stripped of all nutrients. I wondered how it would work with the alternative sugar and honestly, I couldn’t tell a difference in texture and taste-wise, I thought it was better!
Take advantage of the pears and apples at the height of the season and make this stuff! So, so good!
- 6 lbs (about 25 large) Pears or Apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2½ c. Sucanat (or xylitol, etc)
- 4 t. Ground Cinnamon
- ½ t. Ground Cloves
- ½ t. Allspice
- ½ t. Fine Sea Salt (I used pink himalayan)
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for one hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low for one hour. Place mixture in blender and blend until completely smooth. Let cool completely.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers and refrigerate or freeze.