A couple of days ago I found myself with a few strawberries that desperately needed to be used and found this recipe for Strawberry Lemonade Truffles. Obviously mine didn’t turn out as truffles because the mixture never stiffened up completely so I just turned them into candy cups. While not quite as simple as scooping the mixture into balls and dipping them in chocolate, it worked just as well.
The end results were quite tasty. They reminded me of the Lemon Berry Slush at Sonic…only dipped in white chocolate. And they definitely are on the sweet side due to all the white chocolate but the tartness of the lemon helps to balance that out. A nice and different summertime treat!
Strawberry Lemonade Candy Cups
- 8 oz. Fresh Strawberries, sliced (will yield 1/3 c. strawberry puree)
- 1 T. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 t. Light Corn Syrup
- 12 oz. White Chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 t. Citric Acid (find at local health food store)
- 1/2 t. Strawberry Extract
- 1/4 c. Dried Strawberries, finely chopped
- Zest of One Lemon
- 1 lb. White Chocolate Candy Coating Wafers
- Decoration: Chopped Candied Lemon Zest, Yellow/Pink Sanding Sugar, Processed Freeze-Dried Strawberries
- Place the chopped white chocolate in a medium size bowl and microwave until melted stirring every 20 seconds.
- Place the sliced strawberries in a medium saucepan and heat them over medium heat until they release their juices and become a chunky strawberry sauce. Blend them in a food processor or blender and then strain them to remove any seeds (I didn’t bother with straining them). Set aside 1/3 cup of the strawberry puree.
- Combine the 1/3 cup strawberry puree, heavy whipping cream and light corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over into melted white chocolate and stir to combine. Add the citric acid, lemon zest, strawberry extract and chopped dried strawberries and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Let chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Place the white chocolate wafers in a small bowl and melt in the microwave stirring every 20 seconds. Fill each cavity of a candy cup mold with one teaspoon of white chocolate. Gently tip and rotate the mold to cover it’s sides and bottom with the chocolate and place in the freezer for one minute to completely harden. Fill hardened candy cup mold with 1/2 teaspoon of the strawberry lemonade mixture and then carefully cover with more white chocolate and decoration of your choice. Place in freezer for one minute to harden. Carefully flip mold upside down onto foil and press gently on bottom of each candy cup until they pop out.