I am proud to say that my husband is now a chocolate and mint convert–all because of these brownies. He said he wasn’t going to try them but then he saw them…and then he tasted them…and then he couldn’t keep his hands out of them. Hah! And I have to admit, they are GOOD. I mean, I love anything mint and chocolate but these are one of the best renditions of that combo I’ve ever had…if I do say so myself. The mint flavor from the Thin Mint cookies and Andes mints is not overwhelming and somewhat subtle and then the Bailey’s buttercream…oh my word, don’t even get me started. It took so much restraint to keep from eating this frosting by the spoonful.
Now when I say Bailey’s, let me clarify. When I went to purchase my bottle of Bailey’s I could not believe that is was nearly $20!!! And all I needed was two-thirds of a cup!! Ummmmmm, no, not happening. So I thought hey, what about Irish cream flavored coffee creamer? Yes! Perfect. Well, much to my surprise and delight I discovered that Bailey’s had their own brand of coffee creamer–for two bucks! Score! I knew I had some whiskey at home that I could throw in and I’d be good to go.
Perfect for St. Patty’s day! You’ll love them–promise.
- 2 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ t. Baking Soda
- ½ t. Salt
- ⅔ c. Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ c. (1 stick) Unsalted Butter
- 1 T. Instant Coffee Granules
- 4 Eggs
- 2 c. Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ c. Bailey's Irish Cream Creamer
- 1 T. Whiskey
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla
- 1 Box Thin Mint Cookies (3 c. crushed cookies)
- 1, 8.5 oz. Bag Andes Mints
- 1 c. (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter
- 4 c. Powdered Sugar
- 5 T. Bailey's Irish Cream Creamer
- 2 t. Pure Vanilla
- 1 T. Whiskey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt until combined. Set aside.
- Place chocolate, butter and instant coffee granules into a medium size bowl and melt in mircowave at 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until completely smooth. Set aside to cool a bit.
- Once the chocolate mixture is warm (NOT hot) add eggs, one at a time, whisking to incorporate. Add sugar, vanilla, Bailey's creamer and whiskey and whisk until combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture, folding with a spatula until just combined. Fold in the crushed Thin Mint cookies.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. While the brownies are baking, chop up ⅔ (about 30 squares) of the Andes mint squares. As soon as the brownies come out of the oven, sprinkle with the chopped Andes. Put back in oven for about 25-30 seconds, remove and spread melted Andes over the brownies. Let the brownies cool completely and frost.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in two cups of the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, on low, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add 3 tablespoons of the Bailey's Irish Cream creamer and beat thoroughly. Beat in the remaining powdered sugar, one cup at a time, on low until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla, whiskey and remaining 2 tablespoons Bailey's creamer until completely incorporated. Chop remaining Andes mints, frost brownies and sprinkle with chopped mints.