A big, indulgent breakfast is very, VERY rare around our house. Which is why I looooved this past Christmas with my in-laws. We did breakfast together at my brother and sister-in-laws house on Christmas morning and it is a breakfast I shall never forget. Bagels, toast, doughnuts, waffles, pancakes…what are those?? No, no, no people. I’m talking BREAKFAST. Ham, hashbrown casserole, thick-cut maple bacon, fluffy scrambled eggs and a yummy fruit salad. Oh and…..Baked Caramel Soaked French Toast Casserole. Holy crap.
My sister-in-law Rachel, of Foodie Rachel, did the majority of the baking and cooking and man, she totally outdid herself, especially with this French toast casserole. My intention was to have a small piece of the sweet, syrupy baked goodness but once I had a taste, I was mentally restraining myself from eating whatever was left in the pan. It was TO. DIE. FOR. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a picture of her French toast casserole that morning but just envision thick slices of French bread, drenched in a sticky, gooey caramel syrup sauce. (The picture above is the best I could come up with but definitely does NOT do the casserole justice.)
Are you drooling yet? Yeah, it’s good. Try it this weekend or maybe make if for a special New Year’s Day breakfast! Fabulous way to start the new year.
- 1½ c. Brown Sugar
- ¾ c. Butter
- ¼ c. plus 2T. Corn Syrup
- 1 lb. Loaf French Bread, cut into 10 slices, about 1¾ inches thick
- 4 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2½ c. Half and Half
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ t. Salt
- 3 T. Sugar
- 1½ t. Cinnamon
- ¼ c. Butter, melted
- Cook the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Pour into a 9×13 baking pan.
- Arrange bread over syrup.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread layers, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least eight hours.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over casserole. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Serve immediately.