I struggle with some recipes…in particular, bread puddings and crockpot cakes. Why?? Because they are so darn hard to photograph! It’s a crying shame that a couple of the most delicious types of desserts (especially bread pudding) just look plain ugly in photos. Delicious? Yes. Photogenic?? No. So hopefully I can convince you to make this crockpot cake based on my simple review of this recipe!
To say this cake is AWESOME is an understatement…it’s actually FREAKIN AWESOME. I was making a dessert for a family get-together and was a little stumped because I knew everyone wanted something majorly chocolate but I didn’t want to just do a chocolate layer cake or cupcakes. And then out of nowhere I remembered this Rocky Road Crockpot cake that one of my former co-worker’s had brought to work for a party and how absolutely, incredibly amazing it was. So I thought why not swap out the nuts for cookies and voila! Cookie Monster Crockpot Cake! If you like chocolate, cake, gooey marshmallows, chocolate chip cookies and Oreos, you may like and possibly even love this dessert. Oh and do I even have to mention the vanilla ice cream?? That’s kind of a no-brainer.
Adapted from Southern Living Rocky Road Chocolate Cake
- 1 (18.25 oz) Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 (3.4 oz) Package Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
- 3 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c. Sour Cream
- ⅓ c. Butter, melted
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3¼ c. Milk, divided
- 1 (3.4 oz) Package Chocolate Cook-and-Serve Pudding Mix
- 2 c. Oreo Cookie Pieces
- 2 c. Chocolate Chip Cookie Pieces (I used Keebler Elf Soft and Chewy)
- 1 c. Bittersweet or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 c. Miniature Marshmallows
- Vanilla Ice Cream (optional)
- Lightly grease a 4-qt slow cooker or spray with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cake mix, next 5 ingredients and 1¼ c. milk at medium speed for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Pour batter into slow cooker.
- Cook remaining 2 cups milk in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 5-8 minutes or until bubbles appear (do not boil); remove from heat.
- Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter. Slowly pour hot milk over pudding. Place a towel over the slow cooker and place lid on top (this prevents condensation from dripping into the cake). Cook on LOW for 3½ hours. Meanwhile, mix chocolate chip cookies, Oreos, mini marshmallows and chocolate chips together in a large bowl.
- Turn off slow cooker or onto low if yours has that setting. Sprinkle with the cookie, marshmallow and chocolate chip mixture and let stand 15 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly melted. Spoon into dessert dishes and serve with ice cream, if desired.
One Reply to “Cookie Monster Crockpot Cake”