It’s the start of a new month which means a new “flavor of the month” for most of the cupcake and cake pop places around here (uh, yeah, we have a few). Apparently the flavor star of August is…drumroll please….Key Lime! Can’t say I’m upset about this at all as I heart me some key lime pie. As a matter of fact, I had planned to do some sort of key lime recipe for the last couple of weeks and never could decide if I wanted to do a traditional key lime pie recipe that I have and LOVE or stray from the typical and do something crazy different. Well, I decided on the latter and ended up making some Key Lime Cookie Truffles. These are based off of that famous Oreo truffle recipe…the one people go nuts over that is basically Oreos and cream cheese. Yeah, that one.
Anyway, I used the vanilla Oreos and key lime juice, not fresh squeezed (oh the horror, I know) but Nellie and Joe’s Key West Lime Juice, which in my opinion is just as good. I also threw in some raspberry jam, hoping to get the perfect mixture of sweet raspberry and tart lime but the jam kind of got lost in the mix and the flavor wasn’t too distinct, which was a bummer. I also think I’ll throw in some lime zest next time for even more of a tart factor. These were pretty delish but I think with a couple of tweaks, they’d be out of this world.
P.S. This recipe makes a TON of truffles, like, 80! I’d suggest halfing the recipe.
- 1, 8 oz. Pkg Cream Cheese, softened
- 4 c. (1 lb, 2 oz pkg) Golden Oreos, crushed (I used my food processor)
- 3 c. Graham Cracker Crumbs (I used my food processor)
- ¾ c. AP Flour
- ¾ c. Key Lime Juice
- ½ c. Raspberry Jam (optional)
- 2 lbs. White Chocolate Candy Discs, melted
- In an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the Oreo and graham cracker crumbs, lime juice and flour. Beat in the raspberry jam (if using). Let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil. Roll dough into balls with the palm of your hands and place on the cookie sheet. Put in the freezer for 30-45 minutes.
- Dip into white chocolate and decorate with green sugar, white chocolate, graham cracker crumbs, etc.