I saw this recipe for Maple Sugar Scones over on Good Life Eats and immediately printed it off. Ever since I learned that scones weren’t that difficult (these Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Chip Scones, for instance) to make and were, in fact, quite delicious, I’ve been looking for another opportunity to make them and this recipe was perfect for the start of fall baking.
I didn’t have the maple sugar that the recipe calls for so instead I used Pure Grade A Maple Syrup (do NOT use the maple syrup sold in the cereal aisle of your store…it’s not real maple syrup) and adjusted the amount of dry ingredients. They turned out so delicious! The dough itself was more biscuit like with a hint of maple and toasted walnuts, but the syrup and sugar on top gave it a nice bit of added sweetness. Perfect warm out of the oven with a cup of coffee on a nice, chilly day.
- 4 c. AP Flour
- 1½ t. Baking Powder
- ½ t. Baking Soda
- ½ t. Salt
- 1 c. Chopped, Toasted Walnuts
- ½ c. (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, very cold and cubed
- ⅔ c. Heavy Whipping Cream
- ⅔ c., plus 2 T. Pure Grade A Maple Syrup, plus a little extra for glazing
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
- Raw Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and walnuts. Using your hands or fork, work the very cold butter into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl (I used a large measuring cup) whisk together the heavy cream, maple syrup, egg and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to butter/flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. With your hands, form dough into a large disc, roughly 7″ round. Place on a lightly floured surface and cut into 8 wedges (the wedges were a little large so I think I’ll cut it into 10 next time). Place on cookie sheet and brush with maple syrup. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one scone comes out clean.