I really, really wanted to make this Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake this past weekend but it just did not happen! I was too busy working on brownies and sugar cookies and all kinds of other tasty things. I’ve been dying to share it with all of you ever since it showed up in my inbox last week. So I finally decided I am just going to post the recipe on my blog, even though I haven’t personally made it. I figure it has to be good, I mean how can you go wrong with ice cream sandwiches, strawberry and mint ice cream and chocolate?! The answer is you CAN’T. Just not possible.
Someone make this and let me know how wonderful it is!
- 10, 3.5-ounce Rectangular Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 Pint Strawberry Ice Cream, slightly softened
- 1 Pint Mint Chip or Pistachio Ice Cream, slightly softened
- ½ c. Oreos or Chocolate Wafer Cookies, finely crushed (about 12 cookies)
- Chocolate Shell Topping, for spreading
- Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with heavy-duty foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. Arrange 5 ice cream sandwiches snugly in the bottom of the pan. Spread the strawberry ice cream on top in an even layer. Press the remaining 5 ice cream sandwiches on top, then spread the mint chip ice cream evenly over the sandwiches. Top with an even layer of crushed cookies, pressing gently.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and freeze until set, about 4 hours. Uncover, then lift the foil to remove the cake from the pan. Invert onto a platter, remove the foil and spread with the chocolate shell topping. Serve immediately or cover and freeze for up to 2 days.