Jeremy is on a big lifting/protein kick right now so we’ve been searching for ways to incorporate LOTS of protein into his diet. One of his requests was a homemade protein bar along the likes of a Larabar or Cliff Bar. So the search began. I found one recipe that calls for blueberry and buckwheat (who knew buckwheat had so much protein?) and he found this one, so we tried his first. I’ll be making mine in the near future though, not to worry.
So the verdict on this one? Good. VERY good. At first I didn’t like them AT ALL. I thought they had too much of a greek yogurt flavor (and I’ll probably make them again and adjust that) and I didn’t care for the amount of cinnamon in them but then the taste of them really grew on me. And we keep them in the fridge and they are MUCH better cold. So I’m kind of addicted to them now…pretty sure I ate almost the whole pan by myself. Jeremy just didn’t care for the greek yogurt taste so there will most definitely be a second round of these with some adjustments here and there. Overall, I think they are delicious and most importantly a GREAT source of protein.
- 3½ c. Thick Cut Oats (preferably organic)
- ½ c. Chia Seeds
- 1 t. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- ¼ c. Sucanat
- 1 c. Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (one without artifical/processed sweetener, colors, flavors, etc)
- 2 c. Plain Greek Yogurt (love Fage brand)
- ¼ c. Raw, Organic Agave (or honey)
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ c. Organic, Natural Peanut Butter (only ingredient peanuts if possible)
- ¼ c. Coconut OIl, melted
- ½ c. Organic Raisins
- 1 c. Chopped Raw Almonds
- 1 c. Dark Chocolate Chips (I prefer Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13 pan with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, , chia seeds, salt, cinnamon, sucanat and protein powder.
- In another bowl, stir together greek yogurt, agave, vanilla, peanut butter and coconut oil until smooth. Add to dry ingredients along with raisins and almonds and mix together. Mixture will be VERY thick.
- Spread evenly into the pan and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips and then place bake in the oven for about 1-2 minutes, until chocolate chips start to melt. Remove from oven and spread chocolate chips in an even layer over the bars. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in refrigerator.