In case you haven’t noticed by now, Fridays have become the designated “healthy recipe” day. And today I have a recipe for a sweet dessert soup to share with you! I’ll never forget the first time I had a fruit “soup” was on the one and only cruise I took to the Bahamas after I graduated high school. They served it with dinner one night and I fell in LOVE. It was sweet and creamy and so refreshing! Just like this delicious recipe! Jeremy seemed really confused by the name and I asked a couple of times why it was called soup…but I honestly don’t know! It’s blended in a blender but it doesn’t have ice so it’s not really a smoothie..so what else would you call it?! Other than amazingly delicious! We enjoyed this for dessert a couple of nights in a row and it is sooo much healthier for you than your typical after dinner fare. It’s got fruit, protein and calcium..almost a meal in itself!
- 1.5 lbs Strawberries (4 cups sliced)
- ¼ c. Almond Milk
- 2 T. Natural Almond Butter
- ½ t. Almond Extract
- 2 T. Agave or Honey, or to taste depending on the sweetness of your strawberries
- Chopped strawberries and almonds, for garnish
- Remove green stems off strawberries, rinse well, pat dry and slice.
- In a blender, add the almond milk, strawberries, almond extract and almond butter. Starting on lowest speed, blend until it comes together. Turn up the speed gradually and blend until completely smooth.
- Taste test and add your desired sweetener. Blend again to combine. If your blender does not puree the seeds, you can pour the soup through a fine strainer. (or just leave the seeds, which is what I did--I don't mind them)
- With blender cover on, place blender in the fridge and chill until very cold, a few hours or overnight. Alternatively, you could chill in a container in the freezer to speed things up. Keeps for a few days in the refrigerator.