I’ve made a lot of protein bars in my day and every now and then I think, “hmm, these may be the best ones yet…” but that thought has never been 100% accurate until now. In my daughter’s words “these are the GOODEST. ONES. EVER!!!!”. And she should know, she’s tried a LOT. 🙂
Previous experiments (such as my Rich Baked Homemade Protein Bars and Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Power Bars) have been good but I really wanted a super simple, non-dairy, gluten-free AND sugar-free bar that used a plant-based protein powder and these are it! My kids lose their minds over these and I have zero guilt handing them out as a bedtime snack.
The original version is peanut butter (I call them my homemade butterfingers because that’s what they taste like to me!) but I just tried the strawberry version again and I’m so excited with how amazing they turned out, I’m sharing that recipe first! Be on the look out for the peanut butter ones coming soon!
- 4 c. Rolled Quick Oats
- ¼ c. Ground Flaxseed
- 2 T. Hemp Hearts
- 4 T. Chia Seeds
- 1 c. Vega Bodacious Berries Protein Powder
- ½ t. Sea Salt
- 1½ c. Fresh Ground Almond Butter (the kind you grind yourself at the store..no added oil or salt)
- ½ c. Coconut Oil, melted
- ⅔ c. Agave
- 3 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 c. Freeze Dried Strawberries
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add all wet ingredients and mix on low until thoroughly combined.
- Add freeze dried strawberries until they have broken up into smaller pieces and are just combined (you don't want them to be too crushed/pulverized..they add an awesome crunch to the bar).
- Press evenly into the pan and place in the freezer for one hour or until firm.
- Remove the bars from the pan, peel away the foil and cut into even bars.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the freezer or refrigerator (we like our in the freezer).