I love fall. Hands down, my favorite season. Leaves turning colors, cooler temps and oh yeah, APPLES. Gorgeous apples from local orchards around town have been showing up at our farmer’s market lately. I absolutely love, love, love apple recipes. As kids, my sister and I knew that fall meant apple picking (can I just say there is nothing like a golden delicious apple right off the tree) and then of course BAKING with those apples. My mom would always make her German Apple Cake (which is still one of my favorite desserts) and an apple crisp! There was nothing like warm apple crisp right out of the oven with a big scoop of cold vanilla ice cream. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Yum.
So I wanted to do something just a little different and thought these Caramel Apple Sandwich Cookies totally fit the bill. I will say that these cookies are divine by themselves but sandwich them with caramel cream cheese frosting and wow, takes it to a whole other level! You could also sub the apples with raisins, craisins, white chocolate chips, nuts…this is just a very solid oatmeal cookie! Promise, you’ll love it!
Original recipe by Taste of Home.
- 1 c. Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 c. Packed Brown Sugar
- ½ c. White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 2 t. Ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ t. Ground Cloves
- ⅛ t. Nutmeg
- ⅛ t. Allspice
- ½ t. Salt
- 3 c. Old-Fashioned Oats
- 1 c. Chopped, Dried Apples
- 1 c. Chopped Granny Smith Apple (one large apple should be enough)
- ¼ Stick Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- ⅛ t. Salt
- 1 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1¾ c. Powdered Sugar
- 3 T. Caramel Sauce (I used Smuckers brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time and then vanilla. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, baking soda, salt and oats. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chopped apples.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating pans and switching racks halfway through. Let cool for two minutes before moving to wire racks and let cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the salt and vanilla. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and then the caramel sauce.
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the frosting on the flat side of a cookie and place another cookie on top.