Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is one of my most favorite cakes ever. EVER. I can still remember the first time I had it and thinking “what the crap is this?!?” It was love from that point on and I honestly think if left to my own devices, I could eat a whole 9×13 pan of it in one sitting. Hopefully I never find out.
Thankfully, the chocolate version is just a little too rich to eat more than one piece (at least for me) but it’s amazing nonetheless. And you can throw this recipe together in about 15 minutes and have it in the oven baking in no time, so in case you still haven’t figured out what you’re bringing to that July 4th party tomorrow, I’d consider making this incredible cake! The bottom layer is thick and slightly chewy and topped with rich, gooey, chocolatey, umm…goodness. Hard to describe but just trust me on this one, it’s awesome. I highly recommend pairing it with milk or homemade vanilla ice cream–delicious!
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, melted, plus one more stick Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 (18.25 oz) package Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 Large Egg, plus 2 more Large Eggs
- 1, 8 oz. Package Cream Cheese, softened
- ¼ c. Cocoa
- 1, 16 oz. Box Powdered Sugar
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 c. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- In an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, one egg, one stick of melted butter and beat on low speed until well blended. Press mixture evenly into baking pan and set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining two eggs, one at a time and the cocoa powder. On low speed, add the powder sugar and beat until all ingredients are well combined. Beat in the remaining one stick of melted butter and the vanilla. Stir in one cup of the chocolate chips and spread the filling over the cake mixture in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining one cup of chocolate chips over the cake.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake–the center should still be slightly gooey when finished baking. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack.