I finally did it. I got over my fear and lack of patience for cutesy, crafty baked treats and made these adorable owl cupcakes! Once I saw how utterly cute and simple they were, I figured there was no way I could possibly screw this up. The craft is recommended for kids after all! I am so pleased with how they came out and I think I might possibly be ready to embark on another crafty baking adventure…maybe…someday.
But for now, I’m just going to enjoy these!
- 1 (18.25 oz.) Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 (16 oz.) Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1 (16.6 oz.) Package Regular Oreos
- 1 (5.5 oz.) Bag Reese’s Pieces
- Brown or White Paper Cupcake Liners
- Bake cupcakes according to directions on the box. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking and cooling, begin separating the Oreos. I warmed my Oreos on a plate in the microwave for 5-6 seconds and gently slid one cookie off (don’t pull it off or it will bring some of the white with it). Test one cookie first to see how much time works for you…it probably won’t be more than 5 seconds.
- Next, with a toothpick, dab a bit of frosting on a brown Reese’s Pieces and place slightly off-centered on the white of the Oreo. These are the eyes.
- Now frost the cupcake with a knife and again, using a toothpick, make “ears” for the owl. Place two of the Oreo eyes on the cupcake and push an orange Reese’s Pieces sideways into the frosting for the beak.