I’m not a huge popcorn fan but every now and then I do love to munch on some caramel or cheese popcorn and it’s usually around Christmas when some member of my family sees fit to lug a HUGE tin of the stuff to our family holiday dinner. Ya know, cause there’s not enough food at those family dinners.
So the other day I remembered how my mom used to make caramel corn in the microwave. I mean, really, really good caramel corn. From the microwave! She sent me the recipe and I made it for the first time ever and I have to say it’s even better than I remember as a kid. Maybe I can appreciate it more now? Who knows. But for whatever reason I love the stuff and it’s very addictive.
I added my own little touch with some sea salt and then through in some homemade dark chocolate and peanut popcorn. The recipes for both are below and they are super simple but if you only choose to do one, make the caramel corn!
- 8 c. Popped Plain Popcorn (NO salt or butter)
- 1 c. Packed Brown Sugar
- ½ c. (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, cut into chunks
- ¼ c. Light Corn Syrup
- ½ t. Regular Salt
- ½ t. Baking Soda
- ½-1 t. Fine Sea Salt (depending on how salty you want it to be)
- 4 c. Popped Popcorn (NO butter or salt)
- 1½ c. High Quality Dark Chocolate Candy Coating (NOT chocolate bark)
- ½ c. Dry-Roasted Peanuts
- Line a large cookie sheet pan with foil. Place Popped corn in a large brown paper bag. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and regular salt in a large bowl. Microwave on high setting 3-4 minutes, stirring after each minute, until mixture comes to a boil (it only took 3 minutes for mine to boil). Microwave 2 minutes longer (without stirring) and then stir in baking soda. Pour syrup mixture over popped corn in bag. Close bag and shake well. Microwave for 1½ more minutes. Shake bag well. Microwave 1-1½ minutes more (I stopped at 1 minute because it smelled slightly burned and 3 or 4 pieces did burn–no biggie, just watch it). Add the sea salt and shake bag well. Pour onto the large cookie pan. Cool and stir to separate.
- Line a large cookie pan with foil. Place popped popcorn and peanuts in large brown paper bag. Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl at 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until completely melted and smooth. Pour chocolate into the bag over the popcorn and peanuts and shake well. Pour onto the cookie pan. Cool and stir to separate.