I honestly don’t need to say much about this recipe other than MAKE IT. IMMEDIATELY. For your own good and the good of all the people you love around you, make these cookies and share them with the world! Yes, I love them that much.
Once again, Sally of Sally’s Baking Addiction has nailed it with these Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies. I will admit that at first I was skeptical about putting a Rolo in the middle. Umm, there’s not much gourmet about a Rolo? But once you put it in the middle of this super dark double chocolate cookie that is sprinkled with sea salt and it gets all melty and gooey inside…you forget it’s a Rolo and only know you can’t stop eating it! These cookies are thick and soft and perfect. Honestly, perfection. Grab some milk and enjoy!
- 1 c. Unsalted Butter, softenend to room temperature
- 1 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1 c. Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, rom temperature
- 2 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1⅓ c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 t. Baking Soda
- ¼ t. Salt
- ¼ c. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 c. Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (or whatever dark chocolate chip you prefer)
- 35 Rolos, unwrapped
- Coarse Sea Salt
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed for about 1 minute. Add the sugars with the mixer on medium speed and cream together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to the wet ingredients. Slowly mix in the heavy whipping cream then the bittersweet chocolate chips. The dough will be thick and sticky. You can chill it for a few minutes at this point but I used mine immediately and had no issues with it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Form a 3-inch ball of dough in your hands and then flatten slightly and make an indentation in the middle. Place the Rolo in the indentation and wrap the rest of the cookies around the Rolo making sure to seal well and form into a slightly flattenened ball again. Repeat with the rest of the dough and remaining Rolos. Sprinkle each cookie with sea salt before putting in the oven.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Cookies will appear undone and very soft. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.