I am so, so, SO excited to introduce the very first fall recipe for 2012 on Desserted Planet–Chocolate S’mores Muffins!! Yes, I know it’s still August but here in Missouri the temperatures have drastically plunged and we’ve been seeing highs in the 70′s and low 80′s and people are more than ready to break out their scarves and throw some chili on the stove. Bring on fall! If only winter didn’t come after it…oh well.
Anyways, back to these amazing muffins. A couple of weeks ago Jeremy and I went camping with some other couples and all their cute kiddos. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not a fan of camping. I didn’t grow up camping so I think that is part of the problem. I just don’t see how people enjoy being dirty and sweaty and sleeping on the ground and doing their business behind a tree…I honestly just don’t get it! However, this camping trip was a little different so I wasn’t quite a reluctant to go…but reluctant nonetheless. Everyone had a camper, including Jeremy’s brother and his wife so we had somewhere to sleep that was not that ground and it was even air-conditioned! It also meant we had a bathroom. Ok, I could do that.
So after agreeing to go, I began to think about what we should bring to eat. Since we’d only be there overnight and the next morning, I wanted something sweet and appropriate for breakfast. Of course! S’mores! In muffins! Brilliant. And yes, the recipes were already out there. Like this one from Elle’s New England Kitchen. It was pretty much a perfect recipe as is, but not very sweet so I added a bit of extra sugar and doubled the recipe, as the original stated that it only made twelve. They were a BIG hit and pretty much like eating a chocolatey, marshmallow studded cupcake for breakfast. Yes, cupcake. But we didn’t call them that…they are MUFFINS. And that makes them totally appropriate for breakfast. But if you want to eat one for dessert, that’d be ok too…
- 3 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 T. Baking Powder
- ½ t. Salt
- 1 c. Brown Sugar
- ½ c. Granulated Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 c. Whole Milk
- 1 c. Vegetable Oil
- 2 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 c. Dark Chocolate Chips, divided
- 3-4 c. Mini Marshmallows
- 12 Whole Graham Cracker Sheets, broken into chunks but not too small (for a total of 3 cups graham cracker pieces, with one cup reserved for topping muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 32 muffin cups in a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt and both sugars. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry and gently fold until everything is incorporated. Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips, 2 cups mini marshmallows and 2 cups graham cracker pieces.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups. Top each muffin with the remaining chocolate chips, marshmallows and graham crackers. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- After baking, cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes and then run a knife around the edges, remove the muffins from the pan and continue cooling completely on the rack. Or eat warm!