I spied these dark chocolatey little bites of protein on Pinterest (where else?) the other day and knew right away I’d like them. (See original recipe here.) These are full of good fats and protein from the almonds, wheat germ, flax seed and protein powder and are lightly sweetened with dates and agave. Oh and how could I forget the ground coffee. Yes, it gets mixed right in with everything else for one powerhouse of a snack! Forget the Snickers when you are feeling that afternoon slump…eat a couple of these for some REAL energy and nutrition.
P.S. This recipe makes ALOT and my food processor wasn’t quite big enough so I had to split it into two batches. Just FYI.
- ⅓ c. Ground Coffee
- 4-5 T. Cocoa Powder
- 2 c. Raw Almonds
- ¼ c. Ground Flax Seed
- ¼ c. Wheat Germ
- 3 Scoops Plant-Based Chocolate Protein Powder (I prefer Garden of Life Chocolate Protein and Greens)
- 2 T. Pure Vanilla
- 1 c. Dates, finely chopped
- ¼ c. Agave
- ½-3/4 c. Warm Water
- Chopped Bittersweet Chocolate (Prefer Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chunks), Cocoa Powder or Coffee Beans (for rolling/decor)
- Place all the ingredients excluding the agave and water into your food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the agave and then slowly add the water, pulsing as the consistency thickens like dough. Form dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in an air-tight container and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight. Remove from fridge, form into 1-inch balls and roll in chopped bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder or garnish with a coffee bean.