As mentioned in my post yesterday, I have a great healthy recipe to share with you guys this morning! I was REALLY needing a healthy sweet treat for our house and this recipe from Oh She Glows seemed perfect. I did make a few changes just because I didn’t have the exact things she used but they still turned out perfect, in my opinion. They do indeed taste a little toffee-like although I think I’d omit the cinnamon next time to let the toffee flavor come through more. These are totally wholesome, whole-grain, low-sugar (NOT refined sugar) and like a chewy granola bar. I definitely thought they were better after they had sat overnight, so give them a little time to come to their full potential! Hope you like them as much as we do!
- 2 c. Thick Cut Oats
- ¼ c. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 T. Chia Seeds
- 1 t. Ground Cinnamon (or omit completely)
- ½ t. Sea Salt (I use pink Himalayan)
- 1 c. Almonds, chopped and toasted
- ½ c. Agave
- 2 T. Butter (I used whipped organic)
- ¼ c. Sucanat
- ⅓ c. Almond Butter (I use homemade so the only ingredient is almonds)
- 2 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
- 3 T. Dark Chocolate Chunks or Chips (I prefer Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, chia seeds, cinnamon, salt and almonds.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the agave, butter, sucanat, almond butter and vanilla, Microwave on high for 45 seconds and stir until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Add the egg and stir until everything is combined. Scoop into the pan and spread out the mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack and cut into squares.