Happy New Year everyone! Hope you all had a fabulous New Year’s Eve and are, ahem, recovering from whatever merriment you may have participated in! I had a laid back, quiet evening in with my hubby and have to say it was very, very nice. Sometimes you just need to relax and rest!
Last year I made a few baking resolutions for myself and have to confess I am not too proud of how (un)successful I was with them. Let’s review, shall we?
1. Bake more international desserts. Ummm, yeah. Massive failure on this one. Early in the year I actually attempted to make Brazo de Mercedes, a delicious Filipino dessert and a favorite dessert of mine, period. It’s an airy, spongy, meringue-like cake spread with a lemon custard and rolled up. It’s divine. And I was doing ok until I got to the rolling part…one crack led to another and before I knew it, custard was oozing everywhere. And that was the beginning and end of the international dessert experiments.
2. Bake more classic desserts. This one I actually accomplished…sort of. I didn’t do nearly as many as I wanted but I did manage to bake a delicious Coconut Cake, a Hummingbird Cake and a Fresh Orange Italian Cream Cake. I really love cakes so I’m going to try and do a few more classics this year and probably a few not-so-classics.
3. Bake more challenging desserts. Hah. Hah. HAH. I have no patience and in fact have quite a collection of one-pan, easy, no-bake desserts on my blog so that should tell you everything you need to know about that particular resolution.
4. Bake more healthy desserts. I’m pleased to say this resolution is one that I did accomplish. Probably because we eat fairly healthy in our household so making these desserts meant we could actually eat them and didn’t have to send them away to my husband’s office to be devoured. I managed to make them quite regularly for the blog and as a matter of fact the first recipe of the new year later this week will indeed be HEALTHY. Yay!
So what are my baking resolutions for this year??? I only have one.
1. Make what I ENJOY baking.
What a concept, right?! I have realized that the resolutions from last year that I succeeded in are actually things that I truly enjoy making and eating. Too often I think I have to push my limits and do things that require extreme skill and time. Or I get consumed with trying to figure out what recipe will get “pinned” the most on Pinterest or trying to figure out what other people want to bake at the time, what’s trendy, what holiday it is…you get the point. And I’ll still keep all those things in mind but I won’t let it dictate what I put on Desserted Planet. I’ll do things that I genuinely enjoy and get pleasure from making. I’m pretty excited about it!
So what are your resolutions, baking or otherwise? I’d really love to hear them!