This was my first time making anything sweet with quinoa and can I just say, I am forever changed! Knowing that I can incorporate something into my desserts that is so nutritious and protein packed, is revolutionary. Not kidding. I was definitely skeptical how this would work, but once you mix all these ingredients together, you don’t even know the quinoa is there…all you know is that these balls are DELICIOUS.
I found this recipe on the eat, live, run blog. I used her original recipe but once I had everything mixed up, it was VERY loose and absolutely not sticking together. I might have done something wrong…who knows? But I still thought the mixture tasted AMAZING and decided to just add some more stuff and hope it would come together. The recipe was originally gluten-free but to get it to stick together I had to throw in some white whole wheat flour (which is the only one I had on hand). You could use another type of gluten-free flour though if you have issues with gluten.
In the end, the balls stuck together nicely and tasted sooooo yummy. They seriously remind me of an oatmeal cookie and are definitely my new favorite healthy sweet treat…well, after my No-Bake Almond Butter Rice Krisp Treats. Those things can’t be beat.
- 2 c. Thick Rolled Oats, dry
- 1 c. Cooked Quinoa
- 1 c. White Whole Wheat Flour (or other gluten-free flour)
- ½ c. Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut
- ⅓ c., plus 2 T. Raw Sunflower Seeds
- ⅔ c. Dried, Unsweetened Dark Tart Cherries
- ⅔ c., plus 2 T. Raw Honey
- ¼ c. Organic, All-Natural Peanut Butter (no added salt, oil)
- 1 t. Sea Salt (I use pink himalayan)
- 2 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ c. Dark Chocolate Chips
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats and next five ingredients. In a small pot on the stove, bring the honey to a simmer over medium/low. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, salt and vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and mix well until combined. Let cool. Add chocolate chips into mixture. Form into 1" balls with your hands. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.