Happy New Year!! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend! I’m sure that you celebrated to the max and are now on to thinking about all those New Year’s resolutions, one of which is most likely to lose weight. Now, that’s all good and everything and I believe in you, I really do, but don’t go thinking dessert can’t fit into a healthy diet…in moderation, of course! I mean, you have to have a little treat every now and then or else you’re bound to get so deprived that one day you snap and go to the nearest gas station, raid the candy bar aisle and have a total diet meltdown inside the confines of your car in a very dark parking lot somewhere and find yourself buried in a heap of wrappers and half-eaten Snickers…
Ummmm, ok. Ahem. Where was I?? Oh yes! New Year’s resolutions. I am not going to go totally health conscious on this blog but do want to support all of you out there in your healthy eating endeavors and in order to do so, I am making my very first post of the new year an uber-healthy one! This banana bread is seriously delicious and seriously healthy. I don’t mean low-fat, low-calorie healthy (although it is that also), I’m talking about chalked full of NUTRITION healthy. There is ZERO oil in this bread and a healthy dose of Greek yogurt which is packed with tons of protein. I also used wheat bran, thick cut oats and white whole wheat flour to give it some extra fiber and nutrients. The edges got just a little well done, as you can see, but the bread turned out fabulous and I’ll definitely make this a staple in our household.
- 1½ c. White Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ c. Thick Cut Oats
- ½ c. Wheat Bran
- 1 t. Baking Soda
- 1 t. Salt
- ½ t. Cinnamon
- 1 Large Egg, plus 1 Egg White
- ½ c. Fat-Free Greek Yogurt
- 1⅓ c. Mashed, Fully Ripe Bananas (3 bananas)
- ¾ c. Honey
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, wheat bran, oats, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. In a large bowl, stir together egg and egg white, honey, vanilla, Greek yogurt and bananas. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir until just moistened. Pour into loaf pan and sprinkle with oats.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely.