We do gluten-free around here every now and then and it’s not because anyone has any type of allergies but more so because I truly love a lot of recipes that use almond flour. I can’t say I’ve had much success with coconut flour (as in ZERO) but almond flour never lets me down and it surprisingly makes the most moist and delicious banana bread I have EVER had.
My go-to and favorite banana bread recipe for years had been this one but I prefer this gluten-free version WAY more and it is honestly so much better. Plus, it’s VEGAN which I totally love seeing as how we’ve recently decided to eat plant-based in our every day lives.
The original recipe calls for one egg but I have recently discovered the magic of aquafaba. What’s that you ask? It’s bean water! More specifically the liquid from cooked or canned chickpeas. Crazy, right?! Well this stuff is magic! It’s a GREAT egg replacement for so many things. I am still learning and experimenting but it works wonders in this banana bread and helps take it to the next level of super healthy deliciousness! I’m pretty sure you’ll never go back to a regular ‘ole oil and sugar filled banana bread after you try this version!
- 3-4 Medium VERY Ripe Bananas (I use 4)
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 T. Aquafaba
- 3 T. Coconut Oil, melted
- ¼ c. Xylitol
- ¼ c. Sucanat
- 3½ t. Baking Powder
- ¾ t. Sea Salt
- ½ t. Ground Cinnamon
- ¾ c. Unsweetened Almond or Cashew Milk
- 2½ c. Blanched Almond Flour
- 1¼ c. Gluten-Free Quick Oats
- Handful of Chopped Walnuts (optional but delicious!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat ripe bananas until mashed. Mix in all other ingredients through the milk and combine. Add almond flour and oats and stir to combine. Add chopped walnuts (if using).
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes (mine took 1 hour and 5 minutes), until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan and slicing. Store in an airtight container.
One Reply to “One Bowl Gluten-Free, Vegan Banana Bread”