Ina Garten does not disappoint. I honestly cannot think of one recipe (dessert recipe, of course) that I have ever made of hers that hasn’t turned out absolutely fabulous. I mean the woman just knows her sweets.
And I’m happy to say that the same can be said for these Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars. Think of the most amazing peanut butter cookie you have ever had, layered in bar form with sweet, gooey jam in the middle and you get these bars. They are rich and thick and completely indulgent. And they definitely require a HUGE glass of milk. I mean HUGE. They come together in a snap and bake up fast but it’s important to let them cool completely, otherwise they will not hold their shape when cut. Just a helpful tip from the first time I ever made them.
I’m thinking these are the perfect school lunch treat for kids! Or husbands even. Or…is that the same thing??
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1½ c. Granulated Sugar
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 c. Creamy Peanut Butter (I like Peter Pan)
- 3 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 t. Baking Powder
- 1½ t. Salt
- 2 c. Strawberry Jam (or other kind)
- ½ c. Salted Peanuts
- 1 c. Peanut Butter Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed add the eggs, one at a time, thoroughly incorporating after each addition. Add vanilla and peanut butter and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Spread ⅔ of the dough into the pan. Spread the jam evenly over the dough but not all the way to the edges as the jam will burn slightly if it’s touching the pan. Drop small globs of the remaining dough evenly over the jam. Don’t worry if it doesn’t quite cover all the jam; the dough will spread as it bakes. Spinkle with peanuts and peanut butter chips and press down gently into the dough.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.