Believe it or not, I have never made 7-Layer Bars. Shocking, right?! I’ve always really enjoyed them at parties and church functions but just never made them myself. And I’m not sure why because wow, they are easy and delicious (duh). I thought they’d be a great Superbowl dessert and believe it or not, that blessed event is right around the corner. So it’s time to start planning your menu people! It’s all about the food. At least for me it is…I could kind of care less about football. Sorry, it’s true.
Ok, let’s get to the bars. The recipe I used called for a potato chip crust which I thought would give it a more salty component but I didn’t notice it much. So I might add in 1/4 teaspoon or so of salt to the potato chip mixture next time I make them. Just fyi. And traditionally the crust is graham cracker so feel free to swap out the potato chips for graham cracker crumbs and follow the recipe accordingly. I’m not sure which I prefer more. The potato chip crust actually turned out kind of chewy which I love but I also adore graham cracker crusts so…yeah. Flip a coin? Anyway, this recipe is fabulous, you can’t mess it up and it really is super easy and great for parties. Try them!
Oh and if you want some more Superbowl sweets ideas, check out these past blog posts here and here! I’ll have another great Superbowl recipe later this week for puppy chow–with a twist! If you like booze, you’re gonna love it. And even if you don’t like booze, you’re gonna love it. Seriously. Stay tuned!
- 3 c. Regular, Salted Potato Chips, crushed
- 1½ sticks Unsalted Butter, melted
- 4 T. Granulated Sugar
- 12 oz. (2 c.) pkg. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 12 oz. (2 c. ) pkg. Butterscotch Chips
- 12 oz. (2 c. ) pkg. White Chocolate Chips
- 1½ c. Walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 3 c. Flaked, Sweetened Coconut, toasted
- 2, 14 oz. Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease 9x13 pan.
- Combine potato chips, sugar and melted butter. Press into the bottom of the pan.
- Top the crust with the following ingredients, in order: semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut. Combine the sweetened condensed milk with vanilla and pour over the layers.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an air-tight container.