I am not quite done with Superbowl recipes (I’ll have another later this week!), but I made these Cherry Pie Bars a couple of days ago and they were so fantastic I couldn’t wait to share the recipe! I love anything cherry and combined with the crumbly streusel topping, they are beyond yummy. And so incredibly easy to make. I think they would make a lovely Valentine’s Day treat!
- 1½ c. All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ c. Granulated Sugar
- ¼ t. Salt
- ¾ c. Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 c. Granulated Sugar
- ½ c. Sour Cream
- ⅓ c., plus 1 T. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 t. Almond Extract
- 12-16 oz. Frozen, Unsweetened Dark Cherries (I could only find 12 oz. in my store)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut the butter into ½-inch pieces and add to the flour mixture. Cut in with a fork or use your fingers (my preferred method) until the butter is evenly distributed and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Evenly press ¾ of the mixture into the bottom of the pan and reserve the rest for topping.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, sour cream, flour and almond extract. Gently fold in the cherries and pour over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining topping mixture evenly over the top
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes (mine took 55 minutes) until the top turns golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.